Suzzanne Douglass, mother of Mason Douglass (inset) who died in July 2016
A much-loved teenager whose sudden death left police and doctors baffled is believed to have suffered a fatal allergic reaction.
Nearly ten months after Mason Douglass died at their home, his mum Suzzanne continues to battle for answers.
She found her 13-year-old son and “best friend” collapsed in the conservatory of their Acklam home.
Allergies :Despite desperate attempts to save his life, the youngster was pronounced dead in hospital.
A consultant paediatrician at South Tees Hospitals NHS Trust has now told the grieving mum it is believed Mason died of anaphylaxis.
Suzzanne and MasonSuzzanne and Mason
Allergies :But she has also been told they may never know the exact cause.
Anaphylaxis is a severe and extreme allergic reaction, with common causes including certain foods, bee or wasp venom and penicillin.
Although the condition is life-threatening, deaths are rare – only about 20 a year in the UK.
Allergies :Up until the tragedy on july 5 last year, Mason had been healthy and happy.
Allergies :Mason with nephew Connor
Suzzanne said he had a minor hay allergy but she knew of nothing else which had ever affected him.
“He had his horse but we used to keep him away from the hay and straw,” she said.
“If he had a bit of a reaction we gave him Piriton and he was fine. He didn’t have any other allergies I knew about.”
Allergies :She believes her son brought home a chemical from school that day and used it in an experiment in the bathroom.
Allergies :Mason with his brother ReeceMason with his brother Reece
A box containing a scorched material was found inside and Suzzanne believes Mason may have inhaled the fumes.
“I know he was bringing things home from school,” she said.
“He was curious about what happened to things when they burned.”
The paediatrician said there is “no way” of confirming the type of allergen which can cause inhalation-led anaphylaxis.
Allergies :Cleveland Police told the Gazette the investigation has now concluded into Mason’s death and a report has been prepared for the coroner.
Allergies : An inquest will be held on a date still to be set. The hearing will discuss what happened, but Suzzanne fears she may never know exactly what caused Mason’s untimely and tragic death.